11/13/07

Taking Time Out

Disorienting. That's the only word to describe an MRI. The technicians pose you exactly how they want you, and you 're not allowed to move even one tiny finger tip until the procedure is over. The platform on which you're positioned is then slid into a tube. You're provided with earplugs to block out the deafening noise, but it's still really, really loud.

But who's complaining. I will happily take time out to get my MRI next year. This tool has the potential to save my life. In reviewing my MRI, the radiologist detected another very small mass in the same area as the one already biopsied. She ordered me in for more ultrasound and confirmed what the MRI suggested. There was another pea-sized growth in the same quadrant, which is not unusual. (Can you tell that I'm avoiding the "T" word. They are what rats develop in scientific studies, and I'm not going there.)

My second growth was too small for anyone to feel by hand, which shows the value of my having an MRI. The experts also tell me that MRI will detect breast cancer when it is still confined to the milk ducts and is not yet "invasive." This is considered a "pre-cancerous" condition and is fully curable. In other words, if I had been screened with MRI a couple of years ago, my condition could have been detected before it posed any real threat. (Mammography detects this, too, but apparently not on my x-rays.)

Enough lecturing. Now back to the story.

I went to the Breast Center at USC/Norris. That's an impressive operation. They go at this disease as a team, with a chief surgeon, younger surgeons, a radiologist, and support staff all working together. After conducting their own exams and reviewing all of the data I brought, my new medical team failed to find anything else worrisome and scheduled my surgery for the day before Thanksgiving. The doctors decided on a breast conservation procedure, which is much less traumatic than masectomy and means I may be released from the hospital the same day, if all goes well.

As for the surgery, imagine the face of a clock. The surgeon will remove about 2 hours, roughly between 3 and 5 o'clock. Then the clock will be reconfigured to appear as if no time were taken out. Whatever works.

I just hope to be home in plenty of time to enjoy my family and my turkey and pie -- and, more importantly, to take time out for thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy
Surely you sense of humor and good nature are going to be a big part of your treatment and recovery. I love the picture you paint of the big clock and removing a couple of hours, wistful and so surgically precise. I've going in for my third procedure on tuesday. My first mammogram revealed very dense breast tissue. Hooray I thought, but the radiologist said that is not good and I would need to come in for an ultrasound, which revealed a small mass. I am going in for an compression ultrasound soon, which I am told means that the radiologist thinks it is more than likely a cyst and that the compression pops it. I am hopeful and it sounds like you are too about your own prognosis. How coincidental that you are having your surgery on the day before Thanksgiving. We all need a reminder to be grateful and that we have much to be thankful for. I hope you are well enough to enjoy the pumpkin pie.
Blessings
Mary Shewfelt Hughes

minus said...

Wednesday! Boy you sure don't waste any time. In and out. Well, we will certainly be thinking about you.

I had one of those entubulating MRIs a few years ago. It freaked me right out. I never knew how claustrophobic I could get. I figured, so I go lay down and don't do anything for half an hour; what's not to like, that's my specialty actually. But once I got in there, strapped down and shoved into that torpedo tube, can't move. I gradually began to freak. I was just on the verge of yelling for help when it ended and they pulled me out. Next time they wanted to do it, I told my doc, okay, but you better drug me up. He complied and I had a very pleasant visit to MRI-land - woo woo.

So best wishes, hoping to see you soon. I gotta report that needs serious help.

Clyde