3/6/08

Birthday Blog

A year ago, when I quietly celebrated my 49th birthday, I imagined that this February, my husband and I might be in Rome or in Madrid toasting to my 50th. When I learned that chemotherapy was going to forestall those plans, however, I started to grapple with some nagging "what if" questions about how best to mark the milestone birthday on the horizon.

1. What if I felt too awful to celebrate at all?
2. What if I looked terrible?
3. What if I had no hair?
4. What if I had no eyebrows?
5. What if I let my birthday pass and did nothing? How would that feel?

Truth is that all of those vain and self-absorbed questions, except for maybe the last one, were much trepidation about nothing. In the end, I felt good. I looked fine. I did lack hair, but my new bandanna collection has been serving me well. I still had eyebrows, thankfully. And, yes, I would have been really mad if I did nothing to celebrate the event.

Despite the chemo, I spent a lovely afternoon at home with close friends and family. Those who live in other parts of the country sent cards and flowers and left phone messages. Whether they were present in person or in spirit, everyone's good wishes reaffirmed how generous and caring people have been to me during this period and how very much I appreciate your continued support. My sincere thanks to all of you.

No comments: