1/24/08

CHEMO - Therapy

Yesterday was my first chemo treatment, and I sailed through. I had no immediate side effects, but we'll see how the following weeks play out. For those who are doing their own research, I'm on the TC regime, which is a combination of Taxotere and Cytoxan. Taxotere is one of the new generation of chemo drugs, while Cytoxan has been in use for some time. Taxotere is easier on the coronary system than the drug it replaced and appears to just do a better job, although it may trigger other potential side effects, like tingling in the hands. With everything there's a tradeoff and I have to think that the scientists are doing all they can with the resources they have.

But one thing does puzzle me, what were the pharmaceutical types who marketed Cytoxan thinking when they named it? Exactly what imagery were they going for? It sounds like a cousin of Cyanide, except bolder and less sneaky than Cyanide.

Along with my random thoughts on what the name Cytoxan conveyed, I also found myself focused on the word chemo the other night. Chemo is such an immense, forceful term in its own right, but it's really only an abbreviation. Maybe it's time for chemo to stand alone and separate from therapy, which is already an overburdened concept. Think about it, therapy has enough to do, just supporting words like psycho and physical. Even aroma has recently gotten out in front of therapy in a shameless grab for credibility.

What if chemo were CHEMO, an acronym that was shorthand for the larger concepts that chemo already implies. Here are some suggestions for a bold new makeover for CHEMO that publicly acknowledges its true role and status:

1. Causing Hideous Enemies Massive Obliteration

2. Cunning Horrific Exterminator Menaces Opponents

3. Chemicals Helping Everyone Make Octogenarian

4. Cancer-fighting Humans Eradicating Monstrous Onslaughts

5. Celebrating Health -- E vil Marauders Ousted

6. Can Help Erradicate Murderous Opportunists (from Addie and Joe Shaw, Millbrook, NY)

Feel free to offer your own suggestions. As you can see in the last entry, if you send them by e-mail or blog post, I'll happily add them to the list and give you full credit.

Chemo, it's time for you to have a stand-alone contract. And aroma, I'm on to you. Leave therapy alone and get out in front of a word that better fits your style, like Sensory or Massage.

A final word, let me say that writing these blogs, and knowing that so many of you are following them, has undoubtedly been my therapy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got through the first treatment well. Taxotere was the second phase of my chemo and I too did well with it. Adriamycin did not set well with me. Drop a line if you have time kakauf1@aol.com. I'll keep following your impressive performance especially how you are coping.
Kim