11/7/07

Reaction Shot

You need a little background to understand what happened next. I am not an outwardly organized person. The inside of my car is messy, my desk is cluttered, and my linen closet is beyond description. But I am internally organized. I have the ability to focus on a problem, plan a strategy, and set things in motion in order to get the problem fixed. I do this quickly and without second-guessing myself.

With that said, here's what unfolded next. My husband, my OB-GYN, and I are all in an examining room with the door closed. This doctor, who delivered both of my boys, is a sweetheart, and I know he is fond of me. He is clearly upset that he has to give me really bad news, and eventually both he and my husband start to get misty-eyed.

It would be natural for me to shed a few tears at this point. Most people would. Instead, my problem-solving gene kicks in. My reaction is that we don't have time to fret. I've just been presented with a monumental bend in the road that directly affects my quality of life. I have only one question. Next step?????

I need expert opinion, and I need it fast. After leaving the OB-GYN's office, with my pathology report in hand, my husband and I go upstairs to the office of an oncologist/surgeon. I grab the first available appointment, which is two days away. Then I head home to tell my kids and my immediate cirlcle of family and friends. I also need to teach myself how to interpret a pathology report. Those biology-type words are a code, and I need to crack it.

This is merely a detour, but I'm going to need an entirely new road map to get my life back on course.

No comments: