11/26/07

Holding Pattern

The surgeons looked at my incisions today. They agreed that I was healing well and seemed pleased with the results. I concurred that I appeared to be healing well, so we were all in agreement and well pleased with our handiwork.

Pathology drives the treatment now. But even pathologists take a few days off for Thanksgiving, which means that we don't have a detailed lab report yet. This report determines the next phase. It tells us what inspired the bad cells to grow and helps oncologists decide which weapons to use in the next wave of the attack. Radiation? Chemo? Both? One, but not the other?

Too much estrogen is a possible explanation for the cancer's growth. Estrogen triggers many breast cancers, but it's only one of several potential root causes. My situation may not be estrogen-related at all. We don't know yet.

The pathology report will also reveal if the surgeons achieved adequate margins. They obviously strive for clean margins between the boundaries of the cancerous tissue and the healthy tissue, but almost everything doctors do has some degree of uncertainty. I'm coming to understand that it's the nature of the business.

So, until pathology issues a report and doctors devise a strategy, we're in a temporary holding pattern. Picture a World War II movie (in black and white, not colorized) and the scene is of an airfield somewhere in England. The pilots are tuning up the engines of their fighter planes, they're sharing photos of their sweethearts with each other, they're playing cards around an up-turned wooden crate. The pilots know they will soon be sent out on a mission to attack a particular target. But exactly when they leave, the number of planes that will be deployed, the location of the hit, and the duration of the attack are all still being determined by the high-ranking officers, who are gathered elsewhere in a small, smoky room with reconnaissance photos in front of them.

The pilots wisely use the time to gather their thoughts, to get some rest, to eat well, and otherwise prepare for the attack. It's a moment for comfort food. Consider where I can score a large tray of excellent lasagna.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holding Pattern ... aptly titled.

That's exactly how I felt while waiting for results of a biopsy last summer for spots in my lungs. There is not much you can do except as you say arm yourself with information (thank goodness for the internet), keep a communcation line with those you love, eat well, & wait.

I don't know if my lasagna would pass the test ... but I would gladly put one together for you. Just let me know when.

Love... Kim (Kunitake)

Anonymous said...

You're such a great writer! You should write a book. I pray that all is going to be just fine, even if we end up in WW III, I'm sure there's a General up in the sky watching over you and I'm sure he has another strategic move underway. Know that we're here for you and your family. Relax & take it easy.

Love, Noemi